Here’s how to Fix ‘failed to detect location’ Error in Pokemon GO. Often, players have faced an error where the Pokemon Go app was unable to detect location. Hence, the players were not able to play the game. For all of you who have played Pokemon GO must know how important it is for the app to accurately detect the location. It is the location that helps players scan and catches pokemon in their neighbor. So, location detection is an important part o the game.
Fix ‘failed to detect location’ Error in Pokemon GO
However, Pokemon Go might show an error such as ‘failed to detect location’. This happens because of two main reasons; Firstly, this can happen if you are in an area where GPS signals are low such as a room with no windows or your basement. Secondly, the error also shows up if the mock location is enabled on your device.
Almost anyone who has been playing Pokemon GO by now knows that there are several location spoofing apps like FlyGPS and FastGPSMap that help users to spoof their location. These apps can take the Pokemon GO character almost anywhere around the globe to detect and catch rare Pokemon. After the popularity of these apps and the ease that came with them for the players, several such location spoofing were introduced.
Recently, a security warning was given out by Nintendo and Namco. The last security update caused all of these location spoofing apps to shut down, resulting in the disappointment for many Pokemon GO players. After the security update, that was released in March 2017 through OTA for Android Android 4.4.x KitKat, Android 5.x Lollipop, Android 6.x Marshmallow, and Android 7.x Nougat, it became really hard for the players to spoof their location. The only way that made location spoofing possible was to root their Android phones.
How To Fix Failed To Detect Location Pokémon GO?
Let’s move on to the method to fix Location detection error. I have given three methods and step by step guide to troubleshooting ‘Failed to detect Location’. Method three is for those of you who are facing ‘GPS detection error’ while using location spoofing apps like FlyGPS and FakeGPSGO.
In order to fix ‘location detection error’, first and foremost you have to make sure that there is nothing wrong with the Location Services on your device.
Here is how to make sure your location services are enabled on your Android device. Remember, if the location services are not enabled on your device, Pokemon GO or any other app for that matter will not be able to detect your location hence resulting in showing the ‘location detection error’.
- Go to your phone’s Settings.
- Now, tap on Location> Mode.
- Make sure the Mode is set to “High Accuracy”.
This method involves disabling mock locations feature in advanced settings on your Android device.
- Go to your phone’s Settings.
- Now scroll down to System> ‘About Device’.
- Now, find the ‘Build Number’ option And tap on it 7 times.
- Once done that, you will see a message pop-up saying ‘You are now the developer’.
- Next, go back to System and tap on ‘Developer Options’ that will now appear right above ‘About Device’.
- Click OK for the message pop-up for ‘Use Development Settings’.
- Once you have enabled Developer Options, the button on the top right should turn green.
- Scroll down to ‘Allow Mock Location’ under the ‘Debugging’ Section. Disable ‘Allow mock location’.
- If your device shows ‘Select Mock Location App’ option instead of ‘Allow mock location app’, then simply set it to ‘no mock location app set’.
The above method should fix the ‘failed to detect location’ error for Pokemon GO. For those of you trying to spoof location using FakeGPS or other similar apps, the next method, Method III, is for you.
Method III will help in location spoofing even if your Android device has received the latest Android update.
In order to be able to spoof your location while playing Pokemon GO, the first thing you require is to root your phone. This is not possible to apply on devices that have not been rooted.
- Once your phone has been rooted, you can move on with the download of the location spoofing app. In this guide, I am using GPS Joystick Fake GPS Location APK. However, you can also download Fake GPS GO instead.
- Now, hide the location spoofing app from Pokemon GO so it is not able to be detected. You can do this by going to GPS Joystick> Options> Privacy Mode. Now select ‘generate’ when the following pop-up appears on the screen;
- “Do you want to generate a new copy or update an existing generated one?”
- Next, enter a new app name when prompted and then click on ‘Start’.
- Now, wait for the app to be generated.
- Once the new app has been generated, continue with the installation of the new app.
- For the next step, you are required to use the Link2SD app. This will help you comfortably move the new app to the system directory.
- Download and install Link2SD app and give permission for root access when prompted.
- Next, a list of all of the apps installed on your device will appear. Scroll down to locate the newly generated app.
- Click on the app and go to ‘Options/menu’ at the top right corner. Now click on ‘Convert to system app’ option in the drop-down menu.
- Tap Ok to proceed and once the app has been converted, a reboot device pop-up will appear. Allow the device to reboot.
- Next, open the newly generated app and go to the menu at the top left corner.
- Now, tap on Setting and make sure to enable the following services;
- Enable Indirect Mocking,
- Enable System Mode,
- Disable Location Service,
- Enable A-GPS Reset.
- That is all. The next step is to unroot your device because Pokemon GO will not allow you to play the game on the rooted device. Once you have successfully unrooted your device, go to Settings> Location> select ‘Device only’.
- Now, open the newly generated app and go to ‘Set Location’ option. Open the Map and select the location that you want to spoof on the map.
- Once done, click on ‘start’.
That’s all. Now open Pokemon GO and start spoofing location with the ability to control your character with the joystick.